Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Jeff's log ~ Tuesday, 11/27/07, 7:00AM

Yesterday was another busy day. I was woken up early with a phone call from Rukker. He had some things to take care of in Phuket town, so our leaving time got moved way up. I rushed to get the dink launched and in to Coconuts to meet him. We picked up some of the supplies that arrived for me over there, and by that time it was lunchtime. His girlfriend had lunch prepared at their “bungalow” at noon sharp. They have a real nice home with a small jungle in the backyard, complete with a waterfall, fountains, and coy ponds. In the morning, they had been visited by a monitor lizard, which has a very poisonous bite.

After lunch we were off again. We went to a shopping mall so that I could get a couple tools to make my work a little easier. I also got some business cards, because people have a tendency to lose info when it’s written on pieces of paper. The print shop was very organized, and the cards were ready in twenty minutes. While we were waiting, I picked up some Christmas trimmings for the boat from a selection in the middle of the mall. I’ll wait until after the regatta before I put them up.
I really got a bad case of homesick today. I really need to shake it off, and focus. Talking to Clara helps, but I am still halfway around the world, no matter how you look at it. I found myself beginning to lose patience with the language barrier.

The money is pretty neat here. The bills change in size with the denomination. A twenty baht note is the smallest, and so far the largest is a thousand baht note. The different denominations are also different colors. The coins I haven’t quite got figured out yet, but everywhere I’ve gone, I just pull the change from my pocket and they take the proper ones, while counting it out loud in Thai. The people seem very honest and good Karma is always important. After our shopping trip, I went up to internet store and Dave went home when he came back he had a prepared dinner in a picnic basket. My stomach was a little upset, so I didn’t eat that much, but it was good. Roasted pork with mashed potatoes, gravy and green beans. I had a glass of red wine, too. Then it was time to load up all of my stuff and return home to Pipe Dream.

1 comment:

NoMowMike said...

Hey Mr. Jeff:)
I`m caught up with your current adventures through Thanksgiving!!! I am sort of wondering a couple insignificant questions but still feel compelled to ask.....are there "sodded" areas where you travel to. Do people have yards? What does the dirt look like? I know it is a funny selection of querry.....You keep us all up on everything else of interest i.e.food of all preperation ("my personal favorite") tools, repair and daily maintenance....I just had to ask about the, you know LAWN THING:):)
Glad you had a festive Thanksgiving Jeff...we miss ya and speak of your exploits openly at the hall...smooth sailing Sir!!!
NoMow