Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Jeff's Log ~ Saturday, February 2nd, 2008

Today is a rather sad day for me. My taxi driver Jimmy was involved in a head on collision and is in the hospital. They did surgery today, and he is in the ICU. He is not only my driver; he has become a dear friend as well. I am thanking God that it happened after he dropped me off. I am also praying that he’ll be ok. There are angels watching over me I think. That was a near miss. The accident was Thursday night. We had been traveling around to the boat yards earlier in the day and stopped for a bite to eat and I had a few cocktails, he had a few beers. The car that hit him was a rental driven by an intoxicated “farang” who was driving on the wrong side of the road. I don’t know the condition of that guy.

Pipe Dream is coming out of the water on Monday, so I have been busy getting things put together for the sail over to boat lagoon. I can hardly wait to make her work again. Tomorrow morning, I will dive the bottom using the scuba gear so that the running gear is thoroughly cleaned. The propeller is a “Max-Prop” which is a feathering prop, and it doesn’t like to work properly if there is anything growing on it. I have not been in the water since I sliced my hand, so I’m sure there will be a bit of work to do. I’ve noticed little sergeant majors hanging out at the back of the boat. That’s a bad sign of barnacle growth. I remain amazed at how fast those creatures grow here. There is no antifouling paint on the shaft or prop.

Wishing a Happy Groundhog Day Birthday to Lori.. May you have many more.

I also got some very good news. Clara has finally received her passport from our speedy homeland security department. It only took three and a half months. She has put together a system of flights which is relatively inexpensive and is coming for a visit. That brightened my outlook. I can hardly wait till she gets here. It’s been months and months!!! While she is here, I think a trip to Bangkok to renew my passport will happen. She’ll be able to be my adventure partner. They say that renewals will take 24 hours. We’ll see.

No comments: