Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Captain Scott's Log ~ Tuesday, May 6th,2008

7:59 AM
Subject: Batanes

20 27n 121 58e anchored under the small town of Basco and towered over by
the active volcano Mt Iraya. Gorgeous! Thank you to the many who sent me
Happy B-day wishes. Yesterday was a poster child for sailing. 15 kts out of
the west had us on a beam reach in smooth water all day. 8 kts boat speed
and a 2 kt kick in current gave us a SOG of 10 kts all day. Then at dinner
we were hit by the first squall. The wind came ahead and increased to 30. So
we spent the next 8 hrs powering into big confused seas. The seas were so
bad because of tidal rips off the north of Luzon. Full foul weather gear and it’s
not safe on deck. Tide changed and now 6 kts boat speed with 2 kts foul
current for a SOG of 4 kts. One miserable night! But we are here and as
anyone who sails knows---it’s really good when you quit. Again it’s very pretty
here. We watched cattle loaded onto an island freighter by crane---one
kicking mooing cow at a time. Dinner ashore for the boys and tomorrow we are
bound for Taiwan.

2 comments:

chris fredrich said...

I'm really glad you were far away from the cyclone that hit Burma.

I love reading all the blogs and share them with mom.

Jeff, thanks for the birthday wishes.
Love, Chris

BEE said...

“Jeff, I think that was your boat docked in the harbor of Batanes, Philippines that I took a photo of; it was around May of 2008. I was organizing my photos last night when I thought I was going to see if I can find the owner of Pipe Dream; I think I did. Shoot me an email if it was you and I’ll send you the photo that I took. I was snorkeling at the beach and thought about swimming out to your boat to say hi but I got lazy. Pete. Akyat_bahay@yahoo.com”