Monday, September 8, 2008

Jeff's Log ~ Wednesday, August 13th 2008

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 Kodiak, Alaska Saint Paul Marina 57 47.203N, 152 24.686W

We arrived in Kodiak the day before yesterday at about 1830. We were given a slip assignment, and went to it and tied the boat up. The docks are floating pontoons with timber decks. Ther are mostly fishing boats of various types around us. The fellows that are around are very pleasant and friendly. The weather was sunny and pleasant on our arrival, but deteriorated rapidly. Rather than proceed on to Seward, the boys opted to stay here. I was rather happy about that, because by the time we would be approaching Seward, it would have been blowing at full gale and we would have been beating into it. That is not sailing to me, that is punishment, both for the boat and the crew.

Kodiak is a sprawling town, but the main down town area is a short walk from the boat. There is a well stocked true value hardware store right across the street, as well as carquest and Napa parts stores. Right up a stairway across the street is a best western hotel where they serve a continental breakfast, and I have not been able to pay for it. The girl says it’s ok, free. That’s ok with me! It is harder to get on the internet here than any place that I have been. I am going to see about using my cell phone like I did in Thailand. Since I have been here, I have been spending a lot of time calling people on the phone. It is good to be able to use my cell phone again. They would only keep it on hold for six months, so I have over 4,000 rollover minutes. I don’t know if I can talk on the phone that long!

We have the power plugged in and the heat on, and it sure is pleasant sleeping in a drier atmosphere. The floor boards are already coming back to their proper size. They have been very swollen from all of the moisture contained by them, and hard to remove to check bilges, etc. Scott likes to keep his cabin cool, and condensation drips from his hatch frames and port lights. Tomorrow will be spent getting laundry together and delivered to the laundry place at the other end of town. I feel sorry for who ever that is. It has been a while since it was done.

Dave decided to head home yesterday. His four year old daughter misses him, as well as he misses her, and he decided that he would rather go home and spend a couple of quality days with her than look at bears here. Neil is taking a bear watching tour tomorrow morning, and flies to New Zealand tomorrow night. Scott leaves for Denali, and a national park tour, so I will be alone on Pipe Dream after tomorrow night. Clara arrives here on the twenty-third, and I can hardly wait to see her. We will tour around here for a few days, and then, weather permitting; she will sail with us down to Seward.

No comments: