Thursday, July 31, 2008

Captain Scott's Log ~ Tuesday, July 22, 2008 7:28 AM

Subject: p dream 3 days out

The first 2 days this yacht was the slow boat to China. But beautiful calm seas and clear sunny weather. 60% under power and 40% sailing. The sail was light air beating---easy and slow. Just before dark on the 21st we passed close by To Sima a sheer volcanic island. Its one in a long chain that extends south of Tokyo and the last land we will see till Alaska. We logged only 308 nm in the first 48hrs and not all of that toward the mark. Last night I had the heavy freezer door open (up) and my wrist on the edge. When the door fell on my wrist I thought it was broken. The blow cut through and mangled my metal watch band. The watch is gone but my wrist is still here.

Around 3 am we got nice sailing wind and also picked up the Japan current that hopefully will be with us all the way across. Wind SE at 12. Pipe Dream reaching NE at 8.5 kts and SOG a steady 11. Both Neil and David are very enthusiastic sailors. Back when things were calm they wanted to change sails. Neil was on the helm sailing hard on the wind. I gave him a new course to the NE allowing him to drop off. As the boat came alive he whooped " Woo Woo Bears here we come!!"

No comments: