Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Jeff's Log ~ Monday, June 30th, 2008

Noon

Today has been wonderful so far! My friend Kakihara helped me put the main sail back on Pipe Dream. It is a very large sail which weighs about 300 lbs. between the two of us; we lifted it up onto the deck from the dock, and then unrolled it and installed the battens. We then untied all of the lines from the dock so that the boat could swing and put her nose into the wind. The sail went up smoothly with myself at the mast installing the slides, and Kakihara working the winch and hoisting the sail. We installed both sets of reefing lines as we hoisted the sail. That was another great big checkmark on my list of things to be done.

Kakihara left to fold and stamp the club news letter, and I got another visitor shortly after he left. Mr. Yoshida who is a past commodore of the yacht club came and brought me a bouquet of fresh cut flowers from his flower garden. They are really pretty and sure do brighten up the salon. There are two colors of gladiolas, snap dragons in a magenta color, some purple tiny wild flowers, and one pink hydrangea blossom. I do not have a proper vase, so they are displayed in one of our finest screw top food storage canisters, placed in the middle of the salon table. It sure is nice being an adopted member of the yacht club here. I am going to finish my lunch and then finish cleaning the bottom.

It is now 8:30PM. I invited Kakihari for dinner to thank him for his help. I had to stop on the bottom a little before finishing because jellyfish were coming in on the tide. That left me time to run to the store and get some meat and garlic for spaghetti sauce. I got cooking about 5:30, and Kakihari got here promptly at 6:00. I made a simple spaghetti and meat sauce dinner with home made garlic bread, and we both enjoyed it. He gave me a copy of the news letter, and Pipe Dream was a featured story complete with a color picture. We chatted for a while about cruising, and called it an early night. I was pretty worn out because of my highly successful work day

1 comment:

NoMowMike said...

Hello Jeff!!!
Yes, I have been THAT busy!!! At least it seems that way:) I went on a journey in June to purchase and bring back from S.C. 3-Andersen glass sliding glass doors. The dealer (30 mi from my house) does not ship!!! But at the savings of $2700 TOTAL for all 3 as opposed to $2200 ea from Home Depot, made it worth my while to take the trip and spend a week at the house cleaning and sightseeing:):):) The Blue Ridge parkway was spectacular!!! THEN, I met a buyer on-line through E-Bay that wound up coming to terms with me about the purchase of my old RV. He required me to deliver it all the way up to the north Jersey shore. (1200 mi) I really had one last FINE adventure with the RV. The acid test was simply the fact that I delivered the RV in working order to his driveway. He was appreciative and I was relieved!!! THEN, I come home and spoke with a lifelong friend from Miami that owned a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 4.7 V-8 (long-bed regular cab) 73,000 mi. She had been told by two different mechanics that the engine had a blown head gasket. They told her that in the shape the engine was in and other maintenance issues made the vehicle worth $3500. (she paid almost $18,000 6-years ago) She told me to get it out of her driveway and give her half what the dealership had offered her. (I gave her 2K) The engine had a leaking oil sending switch. I called her back with the news and to see if the deal was still on. She said that as long as she still gets to keep the 2K, the deal was closed. I took the seat out and washed the floorboard and seat. The AC is the only thing that does not work. Jeff....it is a fine FINE truck. (Patriot Blue with light gray interior) It is the nicest vehicle I`ve ever owned!!!
NOW, I may have to use it as a trade-in (or sell out right) to be able to purchase the 1-ton Cargo Van I need for work.......ENOUGH about all my stuff!!!:) I`ve always watched/read your lively accounts and up-dates as you have progressed around the globe from adventure to adventure and port to port with great anticipation:):):)
I`ve also been informed by Clara about her friend Chrissy up in N.C.
That ...sucks!! She had looked forward to her visit to Alaska....
Keep up the GOOD WORK SIR and keep those adventures and stories coming:) Also, if you need anything from stateside, just holler. Take it easy and keep it safe Jeff. Your pal, NoMowMike