Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Jeff's Log ~ Sunday, September 9th 2007

9-9-07

I've been up since six and found that my hunch was right about the refrigeration. There is a bad valve block that won't allow refrigerant to circulate. I'll have to wait until tomorrow afternoon before I can call the company and see if there is any way to repair what I have or what ever.

Either way, life will go on. Today, this place looks like a graveyard. There is nobody around and the shops all seem to be closed. The high winds are continuing. It's been blowing since the second day here and has not slowed down. Wind is a steady 20kn, with gusts to 35kn. Boat is rocking a lot from the wind in the rig. Cockpit looked like a sandbox this morning, so I had to hose it down. We do not use the dock water in our tanks, so I ran the hose from the dock through the vent hatch in the head so that I can shower with the hose. That way the water we made which is in the tanks will last until we get back out to sea and can run the water maker.

Tomorrow, my main job is going to be getting the boat refueled. Diesel fuel is only 33cents a liter here, including taxes. There is no fuel dock, so all the fuel will have to be carried in cans. I think that 80 to 90 gals. Ought to do it, so there will be a few trips necessary. The marina staff is doing the running, so all I have to worry about is getting fuel from the cans into the tanks. While I'm waiting for them to run, there are several other little projects to do. There are some lights to fix and things like that, just on-going maintenance items. That's why I'm here!
I have to get the laundry done too. There's a laundry service here in the marina that is very reasonable, and they not only wash, dry and fold, they even iron everything that is not underwear, even t-shirts. I'll look really spiffy with sharply creased t-shirts!
Well, that's all for now from beautiful Abu Tig, Egypt. I'll attach some pictures again, so you all can see some of the things I’ve seen.

No comments: