Friday, May 30, 2008

Jeff's Log ~ Monday, May 26th 2008

Things in Nakasaki are good. Today, Scott, Yracy, Ranon, and I went to the atomic bomb museum. It was quite a humbling experience. To me it seemed politically balanced. The artifacts on display showed the incredible power that was unleashed on a city that was last on the list of targets, and had the bad luck of a break in the clouds happening on that fateful morning. I never thought that I would ever see anything like that in my life. They asked that no photos be taken inside, and I honored that. It is sometimes hard for me to understand how civilized people could ever imagine using such a weapon, and the things that I saw today I will take a few days to process before my real emotions kick in. I am truly glad that I had the chance to see it.

On the upside, I got most of my chores completed, and got the boat looking real good for a little cocktail party that happened this evening. On the next dock is a couple from Australia who have been in Japan for over a year. They are planning to cruise up the Red Sea in the future. We traded lots of good info. And They enjoyed Pipe Dream's comfort and space. Tomorrow, we are leaving before dawn, so for me it will be a MacDonald’s quarter pounder with cheese and French fries for dinner and an early night to bed. I wish that I had another day or two to spend in Nagasaki, but I must always be ready to go. Remember that I am working, and this is not a vacation for me. I do miss all of my friends from home, and all of you guys are in my heart don‘t forget to write.

No comments: